Tuesday, September 15, 2015

American Indian children in Modern America and Canada

Today I read an Article entitled "Where are the Children". In this article from Indianz.com, I discovered that "48% of 30,000 children and youth in foster care across Canada are aboriginal" and thought to myself, why? As I continued reading, I realized that during the 60's and 70's state welfare groups took the indigenous children from tribes to get them adopted by non-indigenous people. Just when I thought I couldn't be more surprised, I discovered that the US is trying to sterilize indigenous women, leaving their race and culture to die. The author, Mike Myers, concludes his article by stating the government is in charge of the actions it takes to protect its people but nothing is being done for the American Indians.


I found this article to be very eye opening. I will be the first to admit that I am ignorant to the Native American culture but find it very interesting. It's disheartening to see how our government and Canada is treating the natives of this land. To take away people's children is such a terrible act but to also try and stop the culture all together and sterilize its women is crossing so many lines. It angers me to think about the government that I have believed in would do this to part of it's population. I want to know why they are doing this and why no one knows about this issue at hand.

If you want to read more and form your own opinion, follow this link to the article. I encourage everyone to do so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment